What is selenium web driver and how does it help in automation testing process?
- Selenium WebDriver is a tool for automating web application testing, and particularly to verify that they work as expected. It aims to provide a friendly API that’s easy to explore and understand, easier to use than the Selenium-RC (1.0) API, which will help to make your tests easier to read and maintain.
- WebDriver (http://docs.seleniumhq.org/projects/webdriver/) is an Interface and it is designed to overcome some limitations of selenium RC software testing tool.
- Selenium is a web Automation tool which can be used to automate web browsers across many browsers and operating systems.
- It is freeware software testing tool and mostly used as functional and regression testing tool for web and mobile applications.
- Selenium WebDriver supports most of all browsers to run your test cases and many programming languages like C#, Java, Python, Ruby, .Net, Perl, PHP, etc. to create and modify your test scripts.
- Selenium (WebDriver) controls browser directly from operating system level so it is interacting very fast and with more realistic way with browsers.
- Major people in world using Selenium web driver with java.
Difference between WebDriver and selenium RC
• Selenium is a web Automation tool which can be used to automate web browsers across many browsers and operating systems.
• Selenium WebDriver testing tool do not require selenium server for running test.
• WebDriver is using native automation from each supported language for running automation scripts on browsers.
• WebDriver supports web as well mobile application testing so you can test Web Applications (in browsers) and mobile applications (iPhone or Android).
• Supporting latest versions of almost all browsers.
• WebDriver controls the browser itself.
• Selenium WebDriver supports programming languages like C#, Java, Python, Ruby, .Net, Perl, PHP and so.
• Requires Selenium Server for running tests.
• Selenium RC supports only web application testing.
• Supporting all browsers but not supporting latest versions.